Waters Choice Blog
Waters Choice Blog
The goal of spa water treatment is to maintain hygienic and clear water without costing an arm and leg and without hours of daily maintenance. We want you and your family to enjoy your spa; not to spend time worrying about how to balance the water or issues such as itchy skin and toxic fumes!
The five basics of water balancing are: pH, Total Alkalinity, Sanitizer, Water Hardness, and Total dissolved solids (TDS). We will discuss one per month. Let’s begin with pH which some consider to be the most important component of water balance.
Spas, due to their small volume, are prone to fluctuations in pH, so this parameter must be monitored closely. Use test strips or test kits employing liquid reagents to analyze water quality. The ideal pH range for spas is 7.2 to 7.8. Any reading below 7.2 means your water is acidic. To correct this, you would add Spa Up. If the pH reading is above 7.8, it means the water is basic or alkaline. To correct this, you would add Spa Down.
Water with low pH can cause corrosion of metal components such as heating elements, pump seals, and cause eye and skin irritation.
Water with high pH can lead to scale formation on plumbing and surfaces, cloudy water, and eye and skin irritation.
Check back next month as we discuss Total Alkalinity, the following month Sanitizer, Water Hardness, and then Total Dissolved Solids. Mastering these five areas of water balancing will allow you and your family hours of enjoyment- not hours of upkeep.
The Christmas Season is officially here, and that means fun time with family, Christmas carols, delicious food, and some fantastic holiday themed movies! One of the best ways to spend an evening during the winter, is to set up your television in front of the hot tub, and watch a fantastic Christmas movie while enjoying a relaxing soak. You can make your favorite holiday treats and beverages, then spend a fun evening with your loved ones during the movie. If you need some help deciding what movie to watch, here are 4 great suggestions for Christmas movies to watch from your hot tub!
1) “It’s a Wonderful Life” (1946) This all-time classic is an amazing film to watch with your loved ones during the holidays! This incredible movie is extremely uplifting, and is filled with holiday spirit. If you are looking for a great Christmas film that has a fantastic message, it is very hard to beat this one.
2) “A Christmas Story” (1983) Nothing can quite make me laugh during the holidays like this movie. This hilarious film features a boy’s quest for his dream Christmas gift, and shows the hilarious antics of his average working class family and friends. If you want to watch a film with a little bit of Christmas spirit, and a lot of humor during the winter season, this is a great place to start!
3) “Home Alone” (1990) This comedy is about a young boy that was accidentally left behind by his family when they went on a Christmas vacation. He spends the majority of the film defending his home from burglars by using some ingenious traps. Home Alone is a great Christmas movie for the whole family, and everyone will enjoy this hilarious thriller.
4) “Die Hard” (1988) While it can be argued that this film isn’t really a Christmas movie, and is more just an action film that takes place around the holidays, it definitely still belongs on the list. This thrilling action film is about an off-duty police officer that happens to be inside a Christmas party when it is taken over by terrorists. If you are looking for an exciting way to spend an evening, make sure to choose “Die Hard”.
These are only a few of the great selections you can make for watching Christmas movies in the hot tub! If you are looking for a fun and relaxing way to enjoy the holiday season, a hot tub movie is a great idea! If you would like to learn more about properly maintaining your spa, contact us today!
We have all been there before. After a strenuous day working, exercising, or being on your feet, you come home or wake up with extreme soreness. Being sore is a sign that you have exerted your body to its limits, and it can be extremely uncomfortable in severe cases. Luckily, if you own a hot tub, you have a great tool at your disposal to help relieve your soreness, and start recovering more quickly. Here are 4 of the main reasons why a hot tub relieves soreness, and to help you feel better.
1) You are more buoyant and weightless- Throughout the day our joints, muscles, and bones are put under a lot of stress from supporting our body weight, and keeping us upright as we move and work. When you spend a lot of time on your feet, it is natural to become sore from the constant work your body is doing to function. However, when you relax in a hot tub you are much more buoyant, and you will give your body a chance to rest and recover without having to support as much weight. This reduced workload will help you feel better, and relieve some of the soreness you are feeling.
2) Improves blood flow to sore areas- The heat from the hot tub will help increase your circulation, and this added blood movement will help your body recover more quickly. When your body is exposed to the warm water, your blood vessels will begin to dilate, and this is what creates the improved blood flow in the body. This will result in your body healing more quickly, and a much better overall feeling when you are done in the tub.
3) Massage out soreness- In addition to the heat of the water causing better circulation, the movement of the water from the jets can also help you recover from soreness more quickly. The jets of a hot tub are excellent for helping massage your aching body, and this will help you get rid of lactic acid more quickly, and start feeling better in less time.
4) Mental relief- Sometimes when we are feeling sore, much of it is caused by emotional stress, and a sense of being overwhelmed. A hot tub is a great tool to help you relax, reduce your stress level, and just feel much better mentally. This boost in mental wellness will translate to less soreness, and you can continue your day with a better outlook.
Your hot tub is a great tool for relieving soreness, and helping you recover from a hard day. These are some of the top reasons why the hot tub will help you feel better, and why you should make sure to go for a soak when you are feeling sore and beat up. If you would like to learn more about how to properly maintain your hot tub to make sure it is as effective as possible, contact us today!
In part 1 of this entry, we gave our first 10 favorite Olympic swimming inspirational quotes in preparation for the upcoming Olympic games in Rio. If you have not gotten a chance to check out part 1 yet, make sure to read it now. Here are our final 10 motivational swimming quotes, and some of the best quotes from top level swimmers.
1) “So many people along the way, whatever it is you aspire to do, will tell you it can’t be done. But all it takes is imagination. You dream. You plan. You reach.” – Michael Phelps
2) “When I go out and race, I’m not trying to beat opponents, I’m trying to beat what I have done … to beat myself, basically. People find that hard to believe because we’ve had such a bias to always strive to win things. If you win something and you haven’t put everything into it, you haven’t actually achieved anything at all. When you’ve had to work hard for something and you’ve got the best you can out of yourself on that given day, that’s where you get satisfaction from.” -Ian Thorpe
3) “It’s what you do with the rough patches that will define the athlete that you’ll become.” –Dana Vollmer
4) “I have been visualizing myself every night for the past four years standing on the podium having the gold placed around my neck.” -Megan Quann
5) “I can’t control what everyone else swims but if all goes well I know there are no limits.” –leisel Jones
6) “I can definitely take more off my world record – a lot more. I have no doubt about that. I’m by no means putting pressure on myself, it’s just the belief I have in myself…I’m not going to limit myself by nominating times or anything like that. I never thought I’d do 14:34 and I did. I thought I’d maybe do 14:38 or 14:39 that day, and I went nearly five seconds quicker so I don’t want to limit the possibilities”. -Grant Hackett
7) “There are younger, stronger swimmers coming up and they are hungry. I can’t influence what they do, I only know what I can do and I know how greedy I am to defend my title.” -Kirsty Coventry
8) “Most of the preparedness happens during training every single day, so it’s all about getting to a meet and being as relaxed as possible. Personally, I just try to stay in the crowd of people, just talking so my mind doesn’t think only about swimming. That helps me to relax. And at this level, we all know what needs to be done once we jump in the pool”. -Lenny Krayzelburg
9) “If you’re not on your ‘A’ game in our workouts every day, you’re going to get absolutely smoked.” -Michael Phelps
10) “I’ve just been enjoying the training a bit more. I’ve put too much pressure on myself in the past. Just relax and let it come. I just went out there to have a bit of fun tonight.” -Sophie Edington
We hope you enjoyed these great motivational swimming quotes. Let’s all cheer team USA on to victory, and hope that all of the athletes perform well and stay healthy. Enjoy the games, and contact us today if you would like to learn more about our amazing, refreshing, and powerful pool/spa cleaning products.
Posted by Laura Macauley at August 2, 2016 3:01 pm | No Comments »
Labels: best swim spa products, best swimming products, get clear pool water, Healthy Hot Tub Products, help green water, Hot Tub Chemicals, motivation, motivational quotes, olympic quotes, olympics, organic hot tub chemicals, pool, summer swimming spa, swim spa products, swim spa solutions, swimming products, swimming solutions, swimming tips
Our backyards are an amazing place to enjoy warm summer evenings. Having a few friends over for a pool party can lead to some of the most memorable and fun evenings. While these parties are always fun no matter how simple, there are some key upgrades you can make to your pool and backyard to take these gatherings to the next level. Here are 5 Backyard Pool Upgrades perfect for relaxation and party spot.
1) Pool slide- While this upgrade may seem more fun for kids, I guarantee your adult guests will enjoy it as well. There is just something ageless about a water slide. A well made slide is the perfect thing to take your pool party to the next level, and your guests will have a blast.
2) Fire pit or torches- Pool parties are always better when you utilize fire. There is something so natural and fun about sitting around a bonfire, or utilizing torches for their natural light. These fire features will help take your party from fun to amazing. Always make sure you follow all safety procedures when using fire to assure a fun and injury free evening.
3) LED lighting- Don’t just settle for white lights in and around the pool! Spice the evening up with some different colored lights. There are tons of options for adding different colored lights into your pool system. Additionally, you can add lights around your yard to take the ambiance up a notch. Make sure to check out several different options for colors, patterns, and even dancing lights!
4) Poolside bar- Cocktails are always a fantastic way to add some flair to a night around the pool, but going inside when wet is not optimal. The solution is to have a fully stocked bar already outside with you. If you are feeling really ambitious, you can even create your own bar area inside the pool!
5) Water fountains and features- Adding a waterfall, fountain, or other dazzling water feature is a great way to spruce up your yard. You will love the relaxing atmosphere these devices create, and they really give your yard a more elegant feel.
We all love gatherings around the pool, and these great upgrades are simple and effective for improving your yard’s atmosphere. If you would like to learn more about how to properly maintain your pool, and create a more relaxing and natural feel in your water, contact us today!
Posted by Laura Macauley at April 26, 2016 1:39 pm | No Comments »
Labels: Best Hot Tub Products, Healthy Hot Tub Chemicals Online, Healthy Hot Tub Pool Chemicals, Healthy Hot Tub Products, Healthy Purge Products, natural hot tub chemicals, Natural Hot Tub Products, Purchase Enzymes Online, Purge Online, Purse Products Online
Stress can be good and stress can be bad. Stress can get you motivated into positive action but it can also affect your lifestyle in a negative way.
Stress hormones are released by your body during highly stressful situations and they can cause your cells to age, making you look older. In severe cases, stress can cause diabetes and heart disease which can lead to death.
Knowing how to handle stressful events in your life is key to maintaining your stress level. Stress relief is essential in keeping a healthy mind and body. There are many methods of relieving stress such as taking medications but the safest way is to use natural stress relief options.
The warm water of a hot tub has been shown to help balance your nervous system and to keep it in balance. It is believed that warm water immersion encourages the release of a hormone, dopa-mine. Dopa-mine is released by the parasympathetic nervous system in our bodies to combat the effects of harmful stress.
Aromatherapy relieves stress by using scents that can calm you down. Aromatherapy uses essential oils extracted from plants. These essential oils are the main ingredients used to reduce stress. The scent of essential oils sends messages to the olfactory receptors in your nose, thus soothing your anxiety.
The olfactory receptors are linked in your brain which controls your emotions. Aromatherapy effectively reduces stress by stimulating some chemicals in your brain which makes you feel more relaxed. Check out our wonderful Waters Choice aromatherapy scents. hyperlink
No other natural stress relief options can be more rewarding than taking care of your pet animals and treating them like they are one of your closest friends or even family members. Interacting with your pet after a busy day at work greatly lowers your stress levels. You will get better results in relieving your stress by spending more time bonding with your pet. The most common pets for stress relief are dogs but you can also try other pets that you like such as fish or a cat.
Playing with your pet is one of the best methods for stress relief because it lowers your blood pressure, thus slowing down the production of your body’s stress hormone called cortical which is linked to anxiety and depression. Spending some time with your pet can also increase your body’s production of a hormone known as Oxycontin which is associated with relaxation and happiness. Did you know Waters Choice products are safe for your pets?
Posted by Laura Macauley at April 9, 2016 3:14 pm | No Comments »
Labels: best hot tub chemicals, Best Pool Chemicals, healthy hot tub chemicals, Healthy Hot Tub Products, healthy pool chemicals for kids, natural pool chemicals, natural pool products, organic pool chemicals, pool chemicals online, pool stress relief, stress relief
In part 1 of this entry, we discussed the history, effects on the body, and a brief overview of the water massage practice called Hydrotherapy. This great health boosting technique is practiced worldwide in hospitals and treatment centers, but it can also be done in the comfort of any hot tub you have access to. In this entry about hydrotherapy, we will go over the benefits, and provide a quick how-to guide to effectively practice this life changing technique.
First of all, let’s go over some of the key benefits to your health provided by hydrotherapy. If done correctly, water massage loosens muscles, assists relaxation, boosts the immune system to fight off illnesses, assists the body in digesting more effectively, hydrates cells, assists detoxification with improved circulation, increases the efficiency of internal organs with a boosted blood supply, and many more important functions. These effects on the body are monumental for one’s health, and can help reduce the impact of arthritis, colds and flus, depression, headaches, muscle problems, joint issues, nerve disorders, stomach issues, stress, insomnia, and many more common problems.
Now that we know the incredible benefits of hydrotherapy, it is time to learn how to correctly practice it. The first step in properly conducting a hydrotherapy session is to determine your goal for that soak. If you are wanting to relax, and take advantage of stress relieving and sleep inducing hydrotherapy, it is usually effective to turn the jets on high and set the temperature to about 93-97 degrees fahrenheit. Using deep breathing and meditation techniques during this relaxing soak will help prime you to unwind. If your goal is to help reduce muscle tension, aches and pains then setting it between 98-104 degrees with the jets on high is the way to go. Adding stretching and therapy exercises can also help increase the positive effects on your body. Finally, if you are trying to reduce muscle soreness, inflammation and injuries to joints then make sure to do a cold soak with the temperature at its lowest setting , and the jets turned high. If you really want a strong effect, you can even add ice to your soak (make sure you stay at a safe temperature and that your hot tub is equipped to deal with this low temperature).
Hydrotherapy is an amazing tool to increase your overall health, and make you feel amazing. Your very own hot tub can help you experience the powerful benefits of hydrotherapy through water massage. Don’t forget that Waters Choice will help your water feel clean and refreshing to take your hydrotherapy sessions to even greater heights!
So you just bought a hot tub, and are ready to place it in your yard or home. Simply have it delivered, and fill it up, right? Wrong! Before you get your hot tub set up, you must first decide what type of foundation you want to place it on. Hot tube when completely filled can weigh over 3,000 pounds, so it is crucial that you make sure they are set up on a strong and secure foundation. Here are some of the different options spa types of foundations for your hot tub.
Gravel and crushed rock beds- Gravel beds are an excellent option for a spa bed if used to correctly. However, you must make sure the gravel will not shift under the weight of the tub, and will allow proper drainage. It is also a good idea to have a way to keep dirt from the rocks from getting on your feet and tracked into the tub. Gravel bases are very affordable and simple to make. Just make sure you do things correctly.
Concrete foundation- Concrete is an excellent choice for a base because it is very strong and durable. Concrete will be effective as a foundation for a long period of time. Make sure you level the concrete under the spa because not all hot tubs are perfectly flat. Also, if you are using a concrete foundation, make sure you like the spot for your tub as it is difficult to replace concrete to another spot.
Deck foundation- A deck is an excellent and beautiful addition to your yard. Additionally, they make a great foundation for your hot tub in a comfortable and aesthetic setting. Make sure the deck is strong enough to support the weight of the hot tub, and if you are not sure, contact a professional. A deck that is not sturdy enough to hold your tub long term can be disastrous.
Spa pad- These composite material pads are an excellent and convenient way to support your spa. They are durable, simple to install, and can be moved easily if you would like to change your spa’s location. If you want to lay a foundation in the easiest way, this may be a good option for you.
Picking your spa’s foundation is an important step in becoming a spa owner. It is crucial that you take some time to research this step, and pick the right foundation for your situation. If you would like to learn more about hot tubs, and how to properly care for them, contact us today!
Posted by Laura Macauley at December 28, 2015 1:46 pm | No Comments »
Labels: Best Hot Tub Products, Best Type of Hot Tub, Buy Hot Tub Products Online, Different Hot Tub Options, Healthy Hot Tub Products, Hot Tub Chemicals, Hot Tub Water Care, natural hot tub chemicals, Natural Hot Tub Products, Natural Spa Products, Types of Hot Tubs